Have you ever noticed that as the blog gets older, and you keep adding content to it, it starts to feel little slow to load?
This is because every post you add to your blog creates a new table in your WordPress Blog’s Database. Not only that, every plugin you add (and make changes to those plugins) create additional tables in your database.
And as your blog grows, the database also increases in size. You really cannot do much about it as Adding content to the blog is the reason you created a blog in the first place. And plugins are as important to add functionality to the blog.
When you remove the plugins, some tables remain there in the database. So, the best thing you can do is, remove useless Database tables in your blog.
There are other things such as Post Revisions that add to the size of the Database and are of no use once you have published the post.
Though you can easily limit the post revisions in your blog, which you should. You should also remove the post revisions from older posts.
Don’t worry, we are not going too much into the technical details. There is an amazing plugin that can help you do that.
It’s called WP-Optimize, you can download and upload it to your blog or simply search for ‘WP-Optimize’ and install the plugin.
Once you install the plugin, a separate section would appear at the bottom. When you click on it, you can see things that can be removed from the Database in order to optimize it.
You can see my blog, has 428 post revisions, 1 auto draft, 1 spam comment, and 69 transient options.
The Database size is showing 2.4 MB before optimizing the Database and after I click on the ‘Process’ su_button, here is the result.
You can see that the database comes down to 606.9 KB (almost 25% of unoptimized Database)
The Plugins has a rating of 4.9 out of 5 with 324 5 star ratings.
Main features mentioned on the plugin page are .
- Enable/Disable trackbacks for all published post
- Enable/Disable comments for all published post
- Removal of stale post revisions
- Removal of stale unapproved and spam comments
- Removal of trashed comments
- Removal of akismet metadata from comments
- Removal of other stale metadata from comments
- Mobile device friendly, now you can optimize your site on the go
- Removal of all trackbacks and pingbacks
- Cleaning up auto draft posts
- Removal of transient options
- Clear out the post trash
- Automatic cleanup of all the integrated options (also uses retention if enabled)
- Ability to keep selected number of weeks data when cleaning up
- Option to add or remove link on wp admin bar.
- Enable/Disable weekly schedules of optimization
- Apply native WordPress MySql optimize commands on your database tables without phpMyAdmin or any manual query.
- Display Database table statistics. Shows how much space can be optimized and how much space has been cleared.
- Enabled for Administrators only.
- E-mail notifications on automatic cleanup
So, I would suggest you keep it installed and visit it once or twice in a month to keep your WordPress Databse optimized.
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.